Monday, March 9, 2015

Day 1--MRT Treatment

Hi guys! Well, we are getting settled here in California in our new home away from home.  I guess if we have to be away, La Jolla/San Diego area is not the worst place to be!! When we originally found out that we would be coming here, we started looking for places to stay.  Everywhere we looked was around $1000 a week!!! We knew that would be next to impossible for us to afford, so we prayed for a place to stay.  We were amazingly blessed with a condo that is just 10 minutes from the treatment center and 10 minutes from the beach!! Best of all, the owners are letting us stay here for FREE.  If that is not a God thing, then I don't know what is! We are completely blown away by how He has provided for us thus far and are excited to see what He has in store!

 Today was our first day going to the treatment center.  The staff was really nice and everyone fell in love with Dylan immediately.  We met with an amazing speech therapist that is here donating her time and the boys had a fun time playing in the playroom with her.  On the first day of treatment Dylan had to get an EEG.  An EEG is a test that detects electrical activity in your brain using electrodes.  Your brain cell communicate via electrical impulses and are active all the time, even when you're asleep.  This activity shows up as wavy lines on an EEG recording (BTW, I totally stole that description off of the internet:)  In order to get the EEG, they had to place a cap on Dylan's head with two suction cup-type things on the front.  If you know Dylan, then you know that this was no small task.  After they tried to bribe and convince D to try to put the cap on with no luck, we had to force it on him.  I had him on my lap and he was fighting with all of his might.  Now, Dylan may look small, but I am pretty sure he has the strength of a teenage boy! HE IS STRONG! After about 10 minutes, they finally got the cap in place and he continued to scream and fight for another 10-15 minutes....we were all exhausted.  Once the cap was on, they had to clip little things to his ears....ya, that went over really well! Then they proceeded to put gel into all the little holes of the cap....again, more fighting and yelling from the abnormally strong little 5 year old.   He finally settled down and relaxed a bit in my arms, but I still had him held down in case he tried to pull off the cap (he tried about 10 times!).  In order to get a good reading, they need the patient still and closing their eyes for at least 20 seconds....I just laughed at them.  At least he was still for a while.  I am hoping that they were able to get some good readings from the times he was holding still.  I looked over at the screen a few times and it looked like Dylan had been coloring on it! The lines were EVERYWHERE!  Dylan was very relieved when the cap was off and all of a sudden, he was best friends with everyone again.  I am glad he forgives so quickly :) 

You can see in the photo where the suction cups were on his head.

Since it was such a traumatic morning, we decided to go to the park and the beach after naps to let the boys get some energy out and take some stress off of mommy and daddy.  There is a big park right next to the beach about 10 minutes from where we are staying.  We packed up a dinner and had a picnic with an ocean was amazing! It was just what we needed! We may just have to do it tomorrow....and the next day....and the next!
Tomorrow, Dylan will start the MRT treatment as long as the doctor was able to get a good reading from the EEG.  Please pray that they did! I really do not want to go through that again...although he will be getting them often to track his progress.  Please pray that Dylan will get used to the EEGs and that he will be more cooperative.  We really want this treatment to work and think it could really help him! Thank you all for your prayers and financial support.  We appreciate all of you!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment